Monday, July 23, 2012

SUQQU Blend Color Eyeshadow 03 Matsukasa


Matsukasa is actually my very first SUQQU palette given to me as a present last year from another Japanese friend of mine who lives in Himeiji in the Kansai region of Japan. When asked for which SUQQU palette I would like, I had a hard time deciding between this 03 Matsukasa or 05 Sakurakaba, but as my very first SUQQU palette, I opt in for a safer choice, which is a fool-proof neutral brown palette. 

SUQQU Matsukasa (松球) was realeased in part of the Fall 2011 release and it is basically a warm brown color kind of neutral palette. In fact, the kanki characters 松球 actually means pine cones (with matsu=松=pine, and kasa=球=ball). Look at this image full of pine cones and you will see how the color of Matsukasa can be related to a gorgeous range of warm toned browns:



Drivel about Frivol also has a detailed post with swatches here and Reika of Front Row Beauty has her full review here.



When I first receive this quad and see it in person, I was thinking the browns are a little more "reddish" and warmer than what I saw from the official pictures from SUQQU site. I am particular worry about the upper right color "B" that the red tones of it will make me look like a set of punched eyes in the face.



Moving on to a closer look of this eyeshadow quad 03 Matsukasa:



A closer look at 03 Matsukasa:

under sun




under shade

A: The most shimmery shade in the pan, but shimmer particles are very fine and barely noticeable. I call it a borderline shimmer/satin sheen. This is a neutral toned sandy silver kind of color. I actually quite like this color as it will pair up nicely with a deep taupe from other SUQQU quad beautifully. Texture of this is extremely smooth, and no fall-outs during application.

B: A pigmented warm coppery color, with slight shimmers in it (barely noticeable). The actual swatch itself looks more reddish in the pan. This is a very lovely color, but caution is needed to apply on my NC-25 skintone, as too much of an application will result with a punched eye look.

C: A very pigmented and rich chocolate brown, and it's not as red toned as color "B", leaning towards a dark chocolate (the kind you can eat) color.

D: A matte ivory white primer/base color, typical of SUQQU quad palette.

Texture of this is extremely smooth, and no fall-outs during application. The the level of shimmers is very subtle when compared to the most recent collection I know (Himesango) and I find it very work appropriate with the right balance of pigmentation.

Swatches:




photo taken by the window with diffused sunlight



under shade
In terms of texture, this palette again meets my expectations with SUQQU, which is smooth and silky, and application is very easy without any fall outs. I truly think this palette is very appropriate for work with a subtle balance of pigmentation and shimmer. 

EOTD with 03 Matsukasa:




The color combination is a fool-proof warm neutral that is very appropriate for office lady. I did not attempt to try a tonal smokey look with this palette as I am afraid the coppery reddish brown color "B" will look too muddy on me. However, Drivel about Frivol has a beautifully done EOTD tonal brown smoky gradation on her eyes:


[Photo credits to Drivel about Frivol]

Finally, ending with a FOTD:



Eyes: SUQQU Blend Color Eyeshadow 03 Matsukasa
Brows: B&C Labo Browlash EX Eyebrow pencil and liquid (grayish brown)
Face: base-Sonia Rykiel Smoothing Gel Base, foundation-SUQQU Frame Fix Foundation
Cheeks: SUQQU Face Color Palette EX-01
Lips: Maquillage Essence Glamour Rouge BE 790

As my very first SUQQU palette, I am very happy that I got Matsukasa. I need to move out of my comfort zone and try on a smoky gradation that Drivel about Frivol did with her EOTD look. Though I have a hard time to decide between this 03 Matsukasa and 05 Sakurakaba at that point, I ended up finding a way to lay my hands on 05 Sakurakaba in the end because these SUQQU palettes are so good in quality that they will never fail you! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

memoiselle said...

ahh Suqqu! I have one suqqu palette in Himesango and loving it a lot. I keep using it as I don't want to waste a such expensive product. I am a big fan of neutral palette and I think Matsukasa is gorgeous! :)

Cutie Fishball said...

I also have Himesango from this Spring collection and I wrote about it a few weeks back... one of my favorite palettes too! I love SUQQU always come up with lovely neutral with the perfect names. Matsukasa is another warm neutral (warmer than Himesango) and less shimmery, it's work approved!