Monday, May 16, 2011

Weeping Cherry necklace


The main reason of sending Luca-chan a love package is because I wanted to make her a DIY jewelry piece for her.

Like Momo-chan, Luca-chan wants a long necklace and she also said long necklaces are hard to come back in her area in Japan.

When I customize jewelry for my friends, I always ask about their favorite style/color so that the final product will be something they have in mind and feel thrilled about.

So before I start, I ask Luca if she has images of necklace pieces she likes, and she sent me these 2 images:



So I see she likes pearl and something whimsical. The first one looks fun, but it seems like it may not hold up well with time, so I decided to create a balance between the first one and the second one.

Since it was around cherry blossom season when I started making her this piece, so I stick with a cherry blossom theme. I picked out a rosey cream colored rice shaped pearls and these pearls does not have a regular straight hole drilled into the pearl... it's more of a "slanted" drill.

And the pattern of this necklace mimics the natural budding/flowering form of a weeping cherry:




There isn't a single chain used in this piece. The necklace has been created by connecting individual pieces of pearls and Swarovski crystals together.


So voila, the final product of Weeping Cherry, a full length of 80cm:




I hope Luca will love it when she sees Weeping Cherry^^

4 comments:

Zaag said...

Hi! I have been reading your blog for a while and I absolutely LOVE your DIY pieces! This necklace is beautiful! I'm sure that Luca will love it because it's from you and it's really beautiful~~!! :)

Cutie Fishball said...

Hi Zaag! Nice meeting you here!

I would love to meet all the people that visit my blog!

Thanks for the compliment! Luca actually made my life easier by telling me the style she wanted so I can make something more suited for her!

I love to DIY so hopefully I will find time to create more pieces and post it in my blog!

Jie Jie said...

This is a beautiful and one-and-only piece, Japanese ladies like pearls and DIY jewelry:) It will be perfect f you could do either a matching earrings or bracelet. I love the name "weeping cherry"!

Cutie Fishball said...

Jie Jie - I would like to make a matching pair of earrings with the necklace, but Luca (and Momo-chan too) doesn't have ear holes...

But the way the holes are drilled in the pearls result in an interesting way how the way the chain of pearls look... just like the natural form of weeping cherry you will see...

I thought Japanese ladies love DIY and I think their craftsmanship level is much higher than me!

(haha, but making a 80 cm long necklace is quite time consuming!)